On my old Xanga blog, I asked for suggestions as to what I should call my (what was supposed to be) travel blog. My friend Korin suggested "Notes from the...something", meaning obviously that I should insert an appropriate word at the end. But it stuck in my brain, and I love it.
It's perfect for a journal that's not a travel blog, not a knitting blog, not a writing blog, just a... something. :)
I have been meaning to start a new blog for ages. Usually, when one wants to start a travel blog, they do so BEFORE or DURING their traveling times, not after. But I don't do things the usual way, so here it is. The thing that's held me up all this time (16 months, give or take), is the Intro Post. I felt it should be big and important and descriptive and list all the reasons why I quit my job and contain lots of really witty statements and provocative quotes. I finally decided, after writing 8 million other blog posts in my head, that I would just dive in, headfirst. So here are a few tidbits I can think of right now - I'm sure I will add more later, probably randomly stuck at the end or in the middle of future posts.
1. I am a knitter, amateur-amateur photographer, erstwhile public school teacher, delinquent scrapbooker, occasional yogini, and internet junkie. I will probably talk about all of these things. Individually and simultaneously. With little rhyme or reason.
2. I am a very positive, upbeat, optimistic person. I see the silver lining and the sunshine behind the clouds and the little blessings in the everyday. If this makes you want to barf, feel free to find another blog.
3. The above does not prevent me from being snarky when it's necessary.
4. I attribute an awful lot to astrology. Possibly way too much. I am a Leo, for the record. With Gemini rising and a Taurus moon and Venus in Virgo.
5. I am learning how to cook!
6. In the first 26 years of my life, I never left North America. In the past 16 months, I have been on 4 continents. It's been a wild ride, and I wouldn't change a minute of it.
7. I met my boyfriend, a Brit named Daniel, at a waterfall in Laos. A WATERFALL IN LAOS! Is my life even real? I don't know.
8. I am moving to England soon!
9. I feel a million times happier on sunny days than gray days.
10. I have no idea how I am going to live in England in re: the above.
11. Speaking of diving, I learned how to dive into a pool at the ripe old age of 16 -- my best friend taught me, and this summer she's teaching me trick dives. I can't wait!
12. One of my favorite quotes, particularly appropriate to blogging: "I should not talk so much about myself if there were anyone else whom I knew as well" ~Henry David Thoreau
13. I took a surfing lesson today! It was awesome.
14. I am a little bit superstitious.
15. I truly believe we create our own reality with our thoughts and feelings.